We hold swaps at the Monroe County Fairgrounds in Waterloo, IL. These are held on the last Sunday of each month, from March through October.
In 2018, the dates are March 25, April 29, May 27, June 24, August 26, September 30, October 28.
Checklist for Buyers
No cost to enter. Buyers may enter starting at 5:30 AM.
- Expect a lot of walking — comfortable shoes
- Extra cages
- Cages and wagon to carry cages (There are lots of pedestrians; cars are discouraged from driving to pick up)
- Feed / water
- Coat / raincoat /umbrella
- Do not be cruel to any animal.
- Expect long lines to get in, line often begins before 5AM.
- Be aware, swap is over by about 10 – 11 AM
Checklist for Sellers
$10 to sell. Seller Gate opens starting at 5 AM.
- Money, small bills.
- Papers / paper work / licenses / permits
- Cards and markers to make price tags
- Be aware it is very very cold on animals exposed on open bed/trailers below 50 degrees F. while driving and can make certain animals very sick.
- Be aware it is hot on animals exposed on open bed/trailers while sitting at higher than ~80 degrees F. or in very cramped locations
- Tent / Tarp / enclosure from elements
- Only use pencil on hatching eggs, markers may kill them.
- Be aware animals must be able to breathe, even as others are put on top of them.
- Expect long lines to get in, line often begins before 4AM.
- Everything from the Buyers list above.
Dogs (regardless of size or age) or other predators are NOT allowed to walk (leashed or not) around the swap. They pose an interpreted threat to birds just by being there, therefore causing the birds to behave in escape mode and breaking their necks on cage tops while trying to jump away. Dogs/puppies for sale must be in a cage at all times.